Storage devices play an important role when we talk about any technological device. They are the ones who help store the files and other important information, but with that they also provide memory for the O.S. server. and software that works in systems. Storage devices for computers and mobile phones come in a variety of formats, such as a hard disk drive, USB flash drive, memory card, and so on. And if one day you had to format your drive and needed space for a lot of work but the system was displaying an error, "Windows was unable to finish the format". This would interrupt your entire workflow and could also cause a problem.
But do not worry much because I have some solutions in this article. Keep reading and you will have the problem Windows could not finish the format resolved.
How to fix Windows could not complete the format
The solutions are quite easy and do not require a lot of technical knowledge to solve them. Even if he needed it, do not worry, I'm here to guide you. So, let's go directly to the steps of the solution without talking too much.
1. Create a Partition Using Disk Management
Your storage device must have a partition so that the system knows which partition the files should be stored on, or which ones should be formatted. So, if you do not have a partition, follow the steps below to create one:
- press the the Windows button and right click on Computer option.
- Now, in the list, choose Manage option.
- In the left column, select the Disk Management option.
- Whichever disk you want to create a partition on, right click on it and choose New simple volume option.
- In the next window, select the radio option Format this volume with the following parameters.
- hurry Next create a partition.
So this method would create a new partition based on the chosen settings, such as size, type of file system, and so on. While the new partition was created, the device must be formatted once but still if you want to do it and check if the error is resolved. then you and try it.
2. Create a partition at the command prompt
This method does the same thing as the previous step, it's just that the method to do is different. So follow the steps below to create a partition on your storage device using the command prompt and remove the error.
- Open the Run command by pressing the Windows + R key.
- Then in the search field, type disc part and enter.
- Now, enter the following commands one by one and press Enter after each.
- disc list – The command will list all available disks on your system.
- select disk 3 – This command will select the disk on which you want to make changes. You can select the appropriate number according to the disk on which you want to create a partition.
- clean – This will clean the disc completely.
- create a primary partition – It creates the new partition on the disk.
- format fs = fat32 fast – The command is used to create a fast FAT32 format.
- Type exit and press Enter.
You are done with creating a new partition and you have also formatted your drive once when creating a new partition. But, to check if Windows could not finish the format the error is resolved, you can reformat it and check it.
3. Format the RAW file using Disk Management.
The player creates a RAW file or becomes RAW when it can not be formatted because it has been affected by a virus, formatting error, or unrecognized file system. RAW disks are those that are not formatted by FAT12 / FAT16 / FAT32 file systems. You must therefore follow the steps below to format it:
- Press the the Windows key and right click on the Computer option.
- Select the manage option of the list.
- In the new dialog box, go to Disk Management from the left column. Right click on the drive and choose format.
- Enter all the details requested and click D & #39; agreement.
Note: If you have not backed up the data on this drive, make a backup and click D & #39; AGREEMENT.
The disk you wanted to format has now been formatted and is no longer a RAW file. So you can now use is to store files and can format it again when you want. You can try to perform a quick format by right-clicking on the drive in the Windows Explorer and checking if the problem exists or not.
4. Format the RAW file with the help of the command prompt.
Any drive that becomes a RAW drive due to any virus or malware program can be difficult to format. So we have to format it with the help of the Windows command prompt function. The steps to format the drive are very simple:
- Open the Run command and in the search field, type cmd and press Enter.
- In the command prompt, type
format /fs:FAT32 L:and press Enter.
Note: Check the drive name before formatting. I have formatted an external drive with the name L.
The process may take a little while but once completed, the drive is formatted and you are free from the error.
Note: If you can not execute the command above, open the command prompt in Administrator mode and try to follow the same steps.
5. Using the EaseUS Partition Maker Software
If you are having trouble using the above method and are ready to download software that can perform all the above functions and help you resolve the error, simply download the following software. Ease Software.
Once the download is complete, simply open the software and, after installation, select the drive you want to format. Right click on this drive and click Partition format. The software will do all the rest of the work in the background and once finished, it will inform you.
Made with formatting. You can check in Windows Explorer if you can perform quick formatting or not. If you are able to achieve the format and you do not overcome any disturbance, your mistake "Windows could not complete the format of the local disk d"Or any other reader, is solved.
6. Using the AOMEI Partition Assistant Software
If you do not like the EaseUS software or if this software can not help you, you can download the AOMEI Partition Wizard. The software is a trusted software with a free version and can perform many functions related to the management of disk drives. So, follow the steps:
- Download the software using the link.
- Open and install the software.
- Once installed, launch the software and right-click on the drive you want to create or partition.
- fly Advanced option and click Check the score option.
- Select the radio button Check the partition and fix the errors using chkdsk then click D & #39; agreement.
- Again, right-click on the drive and select Partition format option this time.
- Now click on the Apply button and the changes made are effective.
The software first checks the availability of the partition, then the error that it can solve. Then, it formats the selected drive and the problem is solved now.
Did it work?
Storage devices are an important asset for the computer system as well as for other technological devices. The problem Windows could not finish the format is also easy to solve but disrupts the work of the user whenever this happens. Thus, the article proposes different solutions for different types of Windows could not finish the format error. The method includes creating a partition or formatting the RAW file or using third-party software to solve the problem.
I hope that these steps will solve your problem and that your device is now formatted. If you have problems with these steps or when they are done, you can ask us in the comments section below. Also, if one step worked for you, let me know which one worked for you.