WhatsApp is one of those apps that have long avoided dark mode, while others, like Skype, Telegram, etc., have quickly adopted it. This and the popularity of the app have made WhatsApp one of the big news. Almost every month, I see someone posting on the new dark mode of the beta version of WhatsApp. And yet, the company is apparently still testing it. While you wait, you can at least have the dark mode on the WhatsApp web. This is done via a browser extension that injects its own code into the WhatsApp web application.
Extensions like this are nothing new and we've had some before for Facebook, for example. However, the extension we will be using today is not limited to just one website. It's called Stylus and can allow you to create a theme for different websites. Yes, the themes do not necessarily include only dark themes, but all types of themes of different colors. For example, do not you like the green WhatsApp? With Stylus, you can change it.
- Versatility of theme installation options.
- Stylus supports installations from popular online repositories.
- In addition, styles can now be installed from the .user.css or .user.styl URLs.
- A backup feature for your entire database of installed styles, compatible with other user managers.
- An intuitive and configurable automatic update feature for installed styles.
- A highly customizable user interface, including themes, optional layouts, icon and badge color choices, and many other settings.
- Two different optional code validators with rules configurable by the user.
Install the stylus
Stylus is available on Chrome's Chrome online store and other Chromium-based browsers, as well as on the Firefox browser through the website of their add-ons.
Do not miss it: do dark themes save the battery?
Install WhatsApp Dark Theme on the Web
- With the Stylus extension installed on your browser, visit the site web.whatsapp.com.
- Then click on the stylus extension.
- In the popup, click on the link that says Find more themes.
- You will then see a number of themes for the WhatsApp web application, with dark themes almost at the top.
- You can choose any theme but we recommend you First.
- Click on the theme you like and it will be installed.
- Reload the page if the theme is not applied instantly.
The process can be repeated with many popular websites and you can install all kinds of themes. If you want to change some elements of the current theme, click the extension again. Then click on the icon next to the pencil icon. Above the tooltip, read "Configure on the home page".
On the new page that opens, click Customize settings and you can then almost change everything on the dark theme of WhatsApp.
Bonus – Global Dark Theme on the Web, including WhatsApp Web
If all you are interested in is having a dark theme, but not necessarily the other colorful themes that Stylus brings you, you can also get it with an extension like Dark Mode. Dark mode works not only with the WhatsApp web application, but also with any other website that you might visit. Supported websites are obviously better themed than others and dark themes seem natural. Fortunately, almost all popular websites have a rather special theme and, to date, I have never seen a website be misguided. The extension works by inverting the color of the background. This means that if a website already has a dark mode and it is enabled, it is best to keep the dark mode extension turned off.
You can download and learn more about the dark mode by following the link above.
Read more: Top 10 WhatsApp Sticker Packs for Android