Updated to iOS 14 and can’t find the option to use your iPhone as a personal hotspot for your Mac or other smart device? Do not worry! We have what you need. This is a common occurrence and troubleshooting is fairly straightforward.
the Personal hotspot The feature allows you to share your iPhone’s internet connectivity with nearby devices. The option works with the help of your carrier’s cellular data connectivity and can be turned on and off from iOS or iPadOS Settings app.
Personal hotspot grayed out?
If the Personal access point option is grayed out Settings, the most common solution is to check if Cellular data is authorized. As mentioned above, the feature only works through your carrier’s internet connectivity:
- 1. Open Settings on iPhone or iPad.
- 2. Press on Cellular.
- 3. Activate Cellular data.
Point: You can also quickly swipe down to Control center and activate cellular data from the quick-action switch.
How to fix a personal hotspot that is not showing
- 1. Press on Cellular.
- 2. Open Cellular data network.
- 3. Scroll down to Personal hotspot. If the parameters are missing, you must add them manually. Press on APN and enter the same entry as displayed in the Cellular data settings. At the same for the username and Password the fields.
Point: Some carriers do not require Password while others do. If the Cellular data settings include a password, you will probably need it to Personal hotpot also. If you don’t know what Password to use it, browse your carrier’s website and find the information. If you have trouble finding him, call him and ask for him.
Personal Hotspot and Family Sharing in iOS 14
The latest generation of iOS lets you use Personal Hotspot with the Family Sharing feature, turning your device into an instant hotspot for connected devices:
- 1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- 2. Press your Apple ID at the top of the home screen.
- 3. Open Family Sharing.
- 4. Use the Add member function to invite family members.
- 5. Return to Settings home screen and press Personal hotspot.
- 6. Press on Family Sharing and activate the function for the family member in question.
How to fix a personal hotspot not working in iOS 14
If you have performed the steps described above and the Personal Hotspot feature still does not work, apply the following troubleshooting options:
1. Force restart iPhone
Restart your iPhone and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes cellular data connectivity may be stuck and a restart will fix this or any other minor issue.
2. Reset network settings
Important: Before you apply this hotfix, be aware that it will remove all your Wi-Fi settings (including passwords) and all other VPN and APN settings that you are currently using and restore them to factory default settings. Make sure you know your Wi-Fi password before continuing:
- 1. Open Settings on iOS or iPadOS.
- 2. Press on General.
- 3. Scroll down to Reset.
- 4. Press on Clear all content and settings.
- 5. Provide your Password and press Reset network settings to confirm your selection.
Point: Before using the Personal Hotspot feature, check with your operator for the limits of your cellular data plan. Many companies still charge additional fees if you exceed a monthly data transfer limit!
Did the above tips help you to fix the Personal Hotspot issue on your iPhone or iPad? Let us know which trick worked. Use the comments section available below!
Related: How To Fix Facebook Local Area Access Not Available In iOS 14!