It is important to know some specific details regarding the computer you are using. But many people still do not know the specifications of the system they use. There is nothing to be ashamed of, but you should rather see it as a learning opportunity. So, keep reading the article until the end without jumping and I will not teach you just – How to check the specifications of the computer? using only 1 method, but there will be more than one method and after completing the article you would be a pro at verification of computer specifications.
So let's start by learning:
How to check the specifications of your computer
Thus, there are three main operating systems available worldwide. They are Windows, Mac and Linux. I will cover the methods for all these 3 OS.
Let's start with Windows !!
1. Check the specifications of the computer on Windows
The methods explained below would work for all versions of Windows and help you get the answer to How to check the specifications of the Windows computer?
1. Using properties
First of all, we would like check the specifications using the properties of the system by following the steps mentioned below. This method can be used to check the specifications of the computer under Windows 10, 8 and 7.
- Press the the Windows key and right click on the Computer option.
- Then click on the properties option.
- In the new window, you can check the specifications as shown in the box.
These would display all the appropriate specifications for your system, regardless of their version of Windows.
2. Check the PC specifications with CMD
Let's use the CMD to check the specifications of the computer under Windows 8, 7 and 10. Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- press the the Windows key and search Command prompt.
- Right click on the Command Prompt result and select Run like Administrator option.
- Enter system information command in the command prompt dialog box.
- press Enter to see the specifications as shown below.
That's all. There are still other methods, keep reading.
3. Using system information
the System information This method is the one you have never tried if you are new to Windows or if you are less interested in knowing new tips for Windows.
- press the the Windows touch and enter System information in the search field.
- press Enter or select the first option from the results.
- In the new window, choose System summary option on the left pane.
- And on the right side you will see the results.
- Similarly, if you want to see more specific details, choose the options available in the left pane.
The options would show you the correct specifications for any selected device and you will get the result on the right side. Using this method, you can view the graphics card specifications, memory card specifications, and any other important specifications of your computer.
4. Use Powershell
The last but not least method uses the Windows Powershell option. You must enter here the same command that you entered in the command prompt.
- Enter Windows Powershell in the search area after pressing the key the Windows key.
- Right click on the result and press the key Run as an administrator option now.
- The new window would open the Windows Powershell dialog box.
- Enter system information order and press Enter to see the results.
- The results would be a bit like in the picture below.
If your version of Windows is greater than Windows 7 and the system information If the command does not work, try entering the Get-ComputerInfo command in the Windows Powershell at check the specification in Windows.
Note: There could be some additional methods that might not be mentioned here. The point of sharing different ways is to let you help check the specifications of your computer. If you know of other methods, you can mention them in the comment section to help others.
2. How to check Mac specifications
Mac OS users are fortunate enough to have a very simple method for check the specifications of the computer on mac. So what are we waiting for? let's go straight to the method without wasting time.
- In the top left, click on the button Apple icon.
- Select the first option in the list, ie About this Mac.
- The new window would give you all the specifications of your Mac.
If you want more specific features, you can select specific tabs such as Storage, Memory, View, and more. available at the top of the dialog box. You see, it's not that simple, just two clicks and you get check the macOS specifications.
3. Check the specifications on Linux
So, now I'm going to answer the question – How to check the specifications of the computer under Linux? Just follow the steps and you will get the Linux PC specifications with ease.
- Open the terminal by entering Ctrl + T keyboard keys.
- In the terminal enter lshw order and press Enter key.
- You can see the results showing all the specifications of your Linux computer.
Completed. The specifications of the computer are displayed after you have entered the command, as shown above. If you do not see any results, open the terminal as a root user and then try to enter the command, it will work.
Best PC Specification Verification Tools
If you are not comfortable with the steps mentioned above for your operating system, some tools can help you do the same. You just have to download and install them and they will show you all the details. Refer to the list below:
1. For Windows
2. For Mac
- MachineProfile: Download
3. For Linux
Download one of the software tools mentioned above for check the specifications of your computer and you would see a detailed list of all hardware specifications installed or connected to your system.
I've listed various methods in the article to help you out – How to check the specifications of the computer? and they are not only mentioned for Windows, but also for MacOS and Linux. So you can follow the mentioned steps and get your PC specifications.
Also with mentioning various steps to check the Windows specifications, Mac and Linux, I've listed some tools that could help you do the same. Just download them from the links provided above. If you have a doubt or have a method that is not mentioned in the article, please comment below. We would like to help you or receive suggestions from you.