Are you the happy new owner of a brand new iPhone 12, 11 or any other premium Apple smartphone and looking for a quick way to set it up and start using it? Do not worry! These days, setting up a new iPhone and transferring all your data is very easy, especially if you are upgrading from an older model.
All you have to do is unbox your new iPhone, insert the SIM card, turn it on, and bring it alongside your old iPhone. Photos, contacts and all other data and settings will be transferred wirelessly and your new iPhone will basically clone the contents of the current one!
How to set up a new iPhone from an old one
Important: Before you start, make sure your old iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot. You also need your charger, as you need to connect new and old iPhones to a power source during the process. data transfer.
Made: In this step-by-step tutorial, I’ll set up a new iPhone 12 Pro. However, the procedure is the same for any new iPhone model. Remember, however, that from the iPhone 12 range, Apple smartphones do not come with a charger in the box. The USB-C to Lightning cable is included, however. You should either make sure you have two charging bricks nearby, or use a MacBook’s USB port or an external battery, if you haven’t. bought the 20W USB-C charger again.
1. Unpack the new iPhone 12 Pro
You shouldn’t need too much help here:
- Unseal the box and open the lid.
- Pull the edge of the white screen protector to remove the device from the box.
- Take the SIM tray eject tool (available in the square shaped box labeled with the “Designed by Apple in California” a message.
- Eject the SIM drawer, insert your SIM card and close the drawer.
Advice: The location of the SIM tray has changed in the iPhone 12. It is available at the bottom left of the frame, instead of being centered on the right edge.
Made: You can set up a new iPhone without using a SIM card and add cellular connectivity later.
2. Turn on your new iPhone 12 Pro
- Click and hold the Side button until a white Apple logo appears on the screen. Please be patient until your new iPhone starts up.
- Swipe up to start the setup process.
- Choose the desired language.
- Select your country or region.
3. Configure the new iPhone 12 Pro
Use the Quick start function to easily transfer data from old iPhone to new one. All you have to do is bring your current iPhone or iPad alongside the new one.
Made: If you want to set your iPhone as new, you need to tap Configure manually rather.
- As soon as you bring your current iPhone next to the new one, a Set up a new iPhone map appears on your old device. Tap Carry on to start the automatic configuration process.
Advice: Before touching Carry on, be sure to connect both devices to a power source. This will avoid any trouble during software update and data transfer process!
- Authenticate the connection and setup process by framing the animation that plays on the new iPhone in the viewfinder of your old iPhone.
Advice: Sometimes this authentication procedure can be problematic and you can bypass it by choosing Manually authenticate. In this case, a 6-digit passcode will appear on your new iPhone and you must enter it on the current device.
- Finish on the new iPhone: From now on, you need to continue the installation process on your new device. However, remember to keep the two iPhones close to each other until the data transfer is complete.
4. Install the software update
Your old iPhone is most likely running a newer iOS version than the one preinstalled on your new smartphone. For automatic data transfer to work, you will be required to update the software on your new iPhone.
- Tap Download and install.
- Please be patient until the new version is downloaded and the update is prepared.
- Tap Install now to complete the update!
Troubleshooting: If the iOS software update is stuck while downloading or after pressing Install now, you can long press the Side button and display a map with additional options, including: Emergency call, accessibility options, additional Wi-Fi settings, start over and To close.
Identify the problem and fix it. the To close The button will allow you to restart the new iPhone and try to install the recently downloaded software update once more. Restart will clear the current progress and you will start the installation process from scratch.
Important: In my last iPhone setup, I got stuck during the iOS 14.6 software update installation process because my iPhone was not plugged in. After connecting it to a power source, the installation process simply failed to continue. A to restart didn’t help so I had to restart with both devices connected to a power outlet.
5. Transfer data from old to new iPhone
After the software update is complete, the iPhone 12 will restart automatically and the data transfer from the old to the new iPhone will begin, without you needing to touch the screen. You are prompted on the old and new iPhone with an estimate of how long the procedure will take.
Be patient. the full transfer The message will display on the old iPhone when it is ready, while the new one will restart and be ready to use.
Advice: Your new iPhone may not display widgets correctly on the Home screen. This is because the device needs time to download the necessary apps from the App Store. My advice to you is not to start using your new iPhone right away. Give it a few more hours to download all the necessary data from the App Store and iCloud to get it fully operational.
How long does it take to set up a new iPhone?
In my case, I transferred 240 GB of data from an iPhone XS to a 512 GB iPhone 12 Pro. The estimate was about 2 hours and the transfer took about 1 hour 45 minutes.
Made: The times are heavily influenced by the amount of data stored on your old iPhone. If you have an iPhone with less storage space, the process will be faster.
Advice: The data transfer process can be resource intensive. Both the old and the new iPhone might overheat during the process, especially because they are also connected to a charger. My advice is to make sure the screens are turned off. Don’t worry, the transfer continues at the same rate when the screen is turned off.
Also, avoid using a cover that could prevent the iPhone from dissipating the heat generated. Of course, don’t go through the process of setting up the new iPhone in direct sunlight. I recommend doing this late at night when you are not expecting phone calls or other disruptions.
Conclusion: Setting up a new iPhone from an old one is simple and automated. However, it does require some time, a good Wi-Fi connection, and a power source. How long did it take you to set up your new iPhone. Share the model number of the old and new device as well as the amount of data transferred. Use the comments section available below. Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck in the process!
How to set up a new iPhone from Android
- Download the Move to iOS app (direct link) from the Google Play Store, on your old device.
- Use the Move data from Android option while you set up your new iOS device.
- Open the Move to iOS app and accept the terms and conditions.
- On your new iPhone, tap Continue on the Move from Android screen. Read the 6-digit code and enter it on your Android smartphone to authenticate the data transfer.
- Choose the content you want to transfer and press following.
Advice: Please be patient until the transfer is complete and the progress bar on your iOS device confirms it.
- Follow the onscreen prompts and finish setting up your new iPhone!
Related: Now that you’ve got your new iPhone 12 set up, you might want to check:
– How to capture timelapses in night mode.
– Easily measure the height of a subject.