Looking for a way to reset an AirTag, replace its battery, and pair it with your own Apple ID? Resetting Apple’s Bluetooth tracker is possible, but you also need the previous owner to remove the AirTag from their Apple ID.
Resetting the AirTag isn’t even necessary if the old user is in Bluetooth range. However, if the previous owner was unexpectedly separated from the AirTag and removes the item from their account without being nearby, you need to reset the tracker so you can assign it to your own Apple ID!
How to reset the AirTag
- 1. Press the polished stainless steel battery cover and at the same time, turn counterclockwise at remove the cover.
- 2. Remove the battery and wait a few seconds.
- 3. Place the battery back inside the AirTag and press it until you hear a sound.
- 4. Once the sound is finished, repeat the process of removing and re-adding the battery four more times.
Important: You should hear the sound every time you press the battery, five times. The fifth time the sound should be different to signal that the AirTag has been reset and is ready to pair!
- 5. Put it on Back of AirTag cover in place. Align the three tabs on the cover with the three slots on the AirTag. Hit the lid!
- 6. Turn the cover clockwise until it stops.
How to replace the AirTag battery
If your AirTag battery is low, you need to physically replace it. First Generation AirTags cannot be charged wirelessly via MagSafe!
To replace the battery, you need to follow the same steps as outlined in the AirTag reset step-by-step guide shared above.
The only difference is that you won’t need to remove and replace the battery five times, unless you want to change the Apple ID.
Just replace it with a new one and close the cover.
Advice: Make sure the battery is ‘+’ The side is facing you when you close the cover.
AirTag battery requirements
The AirTags are originally powered by a 3V Panasonic battery. It is lithium metal battery with model number CR2032. The storage capacity is 210mAh.
Advice: We recommend that you use the same model as a replacement. You can buy them at affordable prices on Amazon.
Did you successfully reset AirTag? Do you need more details? How quickly did your AirTag battery run out? Use the comments section and share your comments.
Related: Lost your AirTag? Here’s how to activate Lost Mode!