With that in mind, let's take a look at the guide below on how to unlock the bootloader and then root the Xiaomi Mi A3. Note that since the device has just been launched, there has been no unofficial or official version of TWRP Recovery. We will install the device via Magisk only.
Unlock the boot loader, root, etc. will void the warranty on your Mi A3 device. In addition, all your data will be erased once you have unlocked the boot loader of your device. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to make a full backup of your device.
Plus, unlocking and rooting always involve a chance that things will go south. That is, you can not get the desired results. So, we now think that you have been warned and that you continue the process after understanding the risks involved. Neither DroidViews nor any of its authors will be held responsible for damage to your device.
Requirements and Downloads
How to unlock the Xiaomi Mi A3 bootloader
As mentioned before, unlocking the bootloader on your Mi A3 will erase all data. So please make a backup before continuing.
- Open the ADB and Fastboot platform tools folder. In the field of the address bar, type cmd. This will open a command prompt window.
- Type the code below and if you get a device identifier, it means that an adb connection is established between your device and your PC. Otherwise, make sure that you have installed the Xiaomi USB drivers and that USB debugging is enabled.
- Now, type the following code to start your device in Quick Start mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- You can type the following command and check if the device started successfully in fastboot mode:
- Now, type the following two commands to unlock the boot loader on your Mi A3 device. First, type:
fastboot flashing unlock
- After typing the command above, your device will start on Android OS. You will need to restart the device in quick start mode using the button rebooting the adb bootloader command (make sure that USB debugging is enabled). Once in fastboot mode, type:
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- That's all. You have successfully unlocked the boot loader for your Mi A3 device. Now go to the next section and follow the instructions to root it.
Steps to root Xiaomi Mi A3 via Magisk
Note that the rooting process of Xiaomi Mi A3 will be divided into two sections. In the first, we will patch the boot image file via Magisk. In the next section, the corrected boot.img file will be installed later on your device.
Correct the boot.img boot file via Magisk
- Download and install Magisk Manager on your device.
- Also upload the downloaded boot.img file to the storage of your device.
- Open the Magisk application and press INSTALL.
- Again, press INSTALL.
- Now choose the option "Select and patch a file".
- Browse to the boot.img file that you downloaded previously. Then select it.
- Magisk will now patch the boot.img file.
- Once the process is complete, you can find the boot image file corrected under Internal storage > Downloads > magisk_patched.img
Install the corrected boot.img file via Fastboot
- Transfer the corrected startup image file (magisk_patched.img) from your device to the platform tools folder on the PC.
- Activate USB debugging by going to settings > Developer options (as already discussed before).
- Now start your Mi A3 in quick start mode. Type the command below:
adb reboot bootloader
- Then, flash the boot.img file that we corrected previously via Magisk. Type the following code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
where magisk_patched.img is the name of the corrected boot.img file.
- Finally, restart your device by typing the command below:
You have now successfully rooted your device via Magisk. With that, we come to the end of our guide on how to unlock the bootloader and root the Mi A3. If you have any questions about any part of this guide, please let us know in the comments section below.