The Microsoft Digital Assistant, Cortana, is one of the best features of Windows 10. Cortana is very similar to Amazon's Alexa and Apple's Siri. It can perform various functions such as opening an application, searching for files, weather or translating words into different languages - and all that is just "Hey Cortana" away.
Start with Microsoft Cortana
If you have not yet activated Cortana, you must first follow the steps below to activate it:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Cortana icon.
- Light up Hey Cortana let Cortana answer your orders.
How to use Cortana with voice commands
Before diving into voice commands, it is first important to know the different ways that Cortana can be called on your Windows 10 PC:
Click on the microphone icon appearing in the taskbar right next to the Start menu option.
Use a shortcut Shift + Win + C key to open Cortana in listening mode.
To use this keyboard shortcut, you must make sure that this feature is enabled in the Cortana settings.
Just use the command Hey Cortana invoke the wizard followed by the command. For example, Hey Cortana: Will it rain today in Bangalore?
Lily: List of applications that work with Cortana voice commands.
Cortana Voice Commands for Windows 10 PC
Here are some extremely useful Microsoft Cortana voice commands that you should use when using Windows 10.
- Find documents, videos, photos
- Search the Web
- Check your PC settings
- Set reminders for the future
- Calendar voice commands
- Voice commands from Cortana Technical Support
- Track deliveries and flights
- Search for words or phrases
- Get math calculations or fast currency conversions
- Check directions and traffic status
- Hands-free control for entertainment
Let's see what these Cortana voice commands do when you use them:
1) Find documents, videos, photos:
Cortana can search for files, documents, photos or videos stored on your Windows 10 PC. Here are some examples you can try to search for your valuable documents:
- "Search photos from last month" or "Search videos from (mention date)". Example: "Hey Cortana find videos from June 2014"
- "Find a document (mention the name of the document)" or "Find a file (indicate the name)". Example: "Hey Cortana, find a document called test123."
2) Search the web:
You can give Cortana voice commands to do a direct search on the Web, whether it's searching for facts, discovering good restaurants or just looking for the meaning of a word or synonyms.
- "Hey Cortana, what is the height of (popular celebrity / landmark)? Example: Hey Cortana, how high is Mount Everest?
- "Hey Cortana, who is (name of a known person)?". Example: Hey Cortana, who is Albert Einstein?
- "Hey Cortana, who is the CEO of the company?" Example: Hey Cortana, who is the CEO of Facebook?
- "Hey Cortana, when is (festival name)?" Example: Hey Cortana, is it Christmas?
Search for a specific term
- "Hey Cortana, search (term) on the Web" Example: Hey Cortana, search for Microsoft on the Web.
Discover places to eat
- "Hi Cortana, find good restaurants near me."
- "Hi Cortana, find restaurants near me."
- "Hi Cortana, find bars near me."
3) Check the settings of your PC:
Using Cortana to open configuration applications is much faster than manually navigating in the "Start Menu", here are some examples:
- "Hey Cortana, open Settings."
- "Hey Cortana, open Action Center."
- "Hey Cortana, Disable / Enable Bluetooth" or "Enable / Disable Bluetooth".
- "Hey Cortana, turn on / off the Wi-Fi."
4) Set reminders for the future:
Cortana can be used to set reminders for a later date. For example:
- "Hey Cortana, call me back (action)." Some examples: "Hey Cortana, call me back to call Joe at 3 pm" or "Hey Cortana, remind me to watch the cricket match at 7 pm. "
- "Hey Cortana, show me my reminders."
Note that you can also create reminders manually by opening Cortana and clicking the buttonBook & #39; in the left menu, then press'reminders.
5) Voice commands of the calendar:
Managing your schedule under Windows 10 is no easier. You can control events in your calendar by adding, moving, and displaying them with Cortana. Here are some examples:
- "Hi Cortana, what is my schedule today?"
- "Hey Cortana, show me my schedule for (today / this week / next week)"
- "Hey Cortana, add (mentions the event / appointment) for (mentions the time and date)"
- "Hey Cortana, move (mention appointment / event) to (mention date and time)"
6) Voice commands from Cortana Technical Support:
Regarding Windows 10 technical support, the first option is to search for it on the Internet. But why look when Cortana can do it for you in seconds? Here are some voice commands for general technical support:
- "Hey Cortana, how can I install a printer?"
- "Hey Cortana, how can I change my background image?"
- "Hi Cortana, how can I project my screen?"
- "Hey Cortana, how can I make a backup?"
- "Hey Cortana, how can I update Windows?"
- "Hey Cortana, how can I change privacy settings?"
- "Hey Cortana, how can I connect a wireless device?"
7) Track deliveries and flights:
If you want to track the status of your flight or package that needs to be delivered. Simply copy and paste the PNR of your flight or the tracking number into the Cortona search box. Cortana will keep you informed of any possible delay in the theft or any change in the location of the package.
8) Search for words or phrases:
If you like to use the Microsoft Edge Internet browser, you'll love this feature. Cortana can be used directly in Edge navigation, allowing you to quickly search for words or phrases without having to open a new tab or browser. To do this, highlight the word or phrase on the webpage, right-click it, and press the key.Ask Cortana aboutPrompt. Cortana does a Bing search and displays the result in a small window of the Edge browser.
9) Get quick mathematical calculations or currency conversions:
Microsoft Cortana supports conversions for almost all major currencies; In addition, it also includes a variety of common crypto-currencies such as Litecoin and Bitcoin. So, if you need to do quick currency conversions, just ask Cortana, for example, "Hey Cortana, how much are 100 euros in US dollars?" In addition, Cortana can perform calculations related to mathematics, weight, a few seconds, so you do not have to open the calculator.
10) Check directions and traffic status:
Ask Cortana for directions and traffic status can be an extremely useful thing when traveling. Whenever you need to check the instructions for a specific place, you can use the following commands:
- "Hey Cortana, how can I get to (mention the name of the place)"
- "Hi Cortana, where is (mention the name of the place)?"
To check the traffic status:
- "Hi Cortana, how is the traffic on the way back?"
- "Hi Cortana, how long would it take to drive?
- "Hey Cortana, how can I go home."
11) Hands free control for entertainment:
When you're busy doing important work or perhaps cooking, hands-free control of some entertainment can be both convenient and comforting.
Voice commands to play music
- "Hey Cortana, play (mentions the artist)."
- "Hey Cortana, play (mentions the genre)"
- "Hey Cortana, play (mentions the name of the album) by (mentions the artist).
- "Hey Cortana, stop / pause the music / song."
- "Hey Cortana, play the next piece."
- "Hey Cortana, skip this track."
Detect what is playing
- "Hey Cortana, what is this song?"
- "Hi Cortana, what's going on?"
Find the details of the film:
- "Hey Cortana, what movies are playing near me?"
- "Hey Cortana, what are the times for (mentioning the name of the movie)?"
- "Hey Cortana, how long does it take (mention the name of the movie)?"
- "Hey Cortana, who was the director of (mentioning the name of the movie)?"
Some more basic Cortana voice commands
There is so much that this voice assistant can do for you. After complex commands, no time to list the most basic.
- Get time for any place – "Hey Cortana, what time is it?" Or "Hey Cortana, what time is in (mention the place)?"
- Get weather information for any place – "Hey Cortana, what's the weather like?" Or "Hey Cortana, what's the weather like in Hillsboro?"
- Open apps and websites – "Hey Cortana, open / go to (mention the name of the application)
- Get the best news – "Hey Cortana, make me headlines?" Or "Hey Cortana, show me the latest news."
You can now use your computer as usual, but whenever you need Cortana to perform a task, start by saying "Hey, Cortana".
I hope this list has been helpful.