In today’s publication, we will identify the cause, and then provide a resolution for a second screen or projector mode problem that does not persist after closing and reopening a laptop cover. This problem concerns
Windows automatically returns the second screen or projector mode to the last active selection
You will experience this problem based on the following scenario.
You are using a laptop computer that is running Windows Duplicate or To expand display mode. Then, you press the Windows logo key + P again, then you make the following selection; Second screen only under Windows 10/8 and Projector only in Windows 7. You close and then reopen the laptop cover.
. The laptop has an external LCD monitor connected and you press the Windows logo key + P to switch to the
In this scenario, the display mode reverts to the Duplicate or To expand, depending on what was selected before proceeding to Second screen only or Projector only.
This problem occurs because when you close and then reopen the cover of a laptop, the Connection and configuration of screens (CCD) in Windows automatically reverts the display mode to the last active selection.
The new Win32 APIs for connection and configuration of screens (CCD) offer more control over the configuration of the desktop display.
The CCD APIs offer the following features:
- List the possible display paths from the screens currently connected.
- Define the topology (for example, clone and extend), layout information, resolution, orientation and aspect ratio for all connected displays in a single function call. By making several settings for all the screens connected in a single function call, the number of screen flashes is reduced.
- Add or update parameters to the persistence database.
- Apply the settings that are kept in the database.
- Use the best mode logic to apply the optimal display settings.
- Use the best topology logic to apply the optimal topology to connected displays.
- Start or stop the forced exit.
- Allow the OEM shortcut keys to use the new operating system persistence database.
Correction of second screen or projector mode does not persist
To restore the desired display mode after closing and reopening the laptop cover, press the Windows logo key + P again, then select again Second screen only or Projector only mode as appropriate.
I hope this helps you!