An exclusive feature available on the iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max is the Night Mode Time Lapse! Apple’s 2021 flagships are capable of capturing spectacular videos that appear to move faster, even in low light conditions.
Camera Night mode was introduced last year, allowing flagships of the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max to capture high-quality photos at night. iOS 14 and iPhone 12 take night mode even further, with the time lapse function.
How to capture a time lapse in night mode
- 1. Open the Camera app on your iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max.
- 2. Swipe all the way to the left until you reach Time lapse.
- 3. Press the Shutter to start recording and repeat the gesture when you want to end.
Made: Night mode is automatically activated by iOS 14 when a low light environment is detected.
Point: Hold iPhone firmly for best results. You can use a tripod for ideal stability.
How to capture a selfie in night mode
- 1. Open Camera.
- 2. Press the change camera button, available in the lower right corner of the screen.
- 3. Frame yourself using the viewfinder.
- 4. Press the Shutter button. Night mode will be automatically activated if the selfie is taken in a dark environment.
Point: You know you are about to capture a scene with this special mode, if the available Night mode icon in the upper left corner of the screen is yellow (active)!
Capture time in night mode
The night mode icon also displays a number. This indicates the duration of the shooting. The default setting is 3 seconds. Taking pictures in Night mode takes longer than usual. To set the capture time, follow these steps:
1. Press the Night mode icon.
2. Drag the slider, available above the trigger to Max value. This will extend the capture time.
Made: When you take the photo, the cursor changes to a timer that counts the seconds until the capture is complete.
Point: If you reconsider and want to abandon a photo in Night mode, you can press the Stop button, available under the cursor.
Finally, in iOS 14, Night mode is also available for Portrait mode. However, this feature requires LiDAR hardware, which makes it only available for the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max models.
1. Open Camera.
2. Swipe right to Portrait.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions and take your photo. Night mode auto activates when there is not enough light around.
Time Lapse Video in Night Mode for iPhone 12
What do you think of the new Night Mode features available in iOS 14? We find the low-light time lapse videos really spectacular. Use the comments section available below and share your opinion.
Related: How to slow down time-lapse videos recorded on iPhone!