The macOS 12 Developer Beta has been released as expected right after the opening keynote at WWDC21, alongside the Developer Test builds of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and watchOS 8. Install it on your Mac computer. . Then you can install macOS Monterey Beta on your machine from the Software Update section!
How to update to macOS Monterey Developer Beta
Before you begin, be aware that Apple recommends that you install this version on a secondary device. However, we strongly recommend that you perform a full computer backup via Time Machine:
How? ‘Or’ What:
- Connect an external hard drive to your Mac (with a USB cable).
- Open System Preferences, via Spotlight Search or the Dock.
- Click on Time Machine, available in the lower part of the window.
- Go for Select the backup disk … and choose the external hard drive you just purchased.
Made: The Time Machine feature can format the hard drive for backups and get it done in minutes.
1. Download the macOS Monterey beta profile
The macOS 12.0 configuration profile must be downloaded from your Apple developer account. You must be a paid Apple Developer ($ 99 per year) to be able to download the profile.
Advice: If you are not a registered developer, you can easily become a registered developer by signing in with your Apple ID and signing up.
How? ‘Or’ What:
- On your Mac, open Safari and search for developer.apple.com.
- Sign in with your Apple ID and confirm using two-factor authentication.
- Join the Apple Developer Program by following the on-screen instructions.
- If you are already registered, select macOS from the available operating system listed horizontally at the top of the page.
- Click on Download, found in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down and click on the MacOS Monterey installation profile button. The file will automatically download to your Mac.
Made: You may also be able to download the macOS Monterey beta profile for a third-party source, without registering as a developer. However, I recommend that you proceed with caution if you go this route.
2. Install the macOS Monterey beta profile
- Open the Downloads folder and double-click the MacOS Monterey Developer Beta Access Utility .dmg file.
- Then double click on the freshly deployed macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg file, to start the installer. / li>
- Click on Carry on, twice, and agree with Apple’s terms.
- Confirm the hard drive you want to use for the installation and click Install.
- Provide your administrator password to authenticate the installation.
- The installation was successful message should appear on your screen. Close the MacOS Developer Beta Access Utility the window.
After you’ve downloaded the macOS 12 beta profile to your Mac, follow these steps:
3. Download macOS Monterey Developer Beta
MacOS System Preferences automatically check for a new software update after the installer deployment is complete.
Advice: If you get the Update not found mistake, don’t worry! Your Mac may notify you that the requested version of macOS is not available! Close the dialog and open System Preferences.
Click on Software update and let’s go Update now to download and install the macOS Monterey Developer Beta on your computer.
Made: MacOS 12.0 Beta download file is complete 11.78 GB big. Make sure your MacBook is plugged in and connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
4. Install macOS Monterey Developer Beta
After downloading the beta of macOS 12, the Install Now button becomes active on the Software Update screen, or a prompt automatically appears, prompting you to install.
Click on Carry on, I agree with Apple’s terms and choose Install.
Follow the on-screen prompts and install the beta version of macOS Monterey on your computer.
Made: Your Mac will automatically restart to mark the end of the update process!
How to get started with macOS Monterey
After restarting your Mac, you need to sign in with your the password.
Click on Carry on and also connect with your Apple ID if necessary.
Click on To start and you will be redirected to the desktop.
Start testing macOS 12.0 Monterey!
Troubleshooting macOS Monterey installation
If you have any issues during your macOS Monterey Beta update process, feel free to use the comments section available below and ask for help. We will update all common issues here.
1. macOs Monterey Developer Beta does not appear in the software update screen.
To fix: Restart your Mac and check again. A new restart should do the trick.
Have you updated macOS Monterey Developer Beta? What is your feedback? Share your new favorite features! Use the comments section!
Related: If you’re not yet planning to install macOS 12.0 and are waiting for a later thinned out release, you can at least get in on the beat by downloading the new macOS Monterey wallpaper to your Big Sur desktop!