the Backspace key on the keyboard has long been used to return to the previous page when using a browser. However, the key has been disabled on Chrome browsers and new Chromium Edge browsers. Even if you press the Backspace key, it will not do anything. In this article, we will show how to enable backtracking in Microsoft Edge and Chrome browsers.
Enable backtracking in Edge and Chrome browsers
The main reason why backtracking has been disabled is to make sure there is no data loss if someone accidentally uses it. A first case is where you make a monetary transaction. If you accidentally press the Backspace key, this may result in double deduction. In any form of submission, scripts can execute 2 to 3 steps and this is where the problem occurs.
Now that you know why the key is disabled, here's how to activate it. While this works, be careful not to touch it while submitting the required form.
Back with the Backspace extension
- Go to the extension pageand install it on Chrome or Edge
- Once installed, it will reactivate the Backspace key as a back navigation button.
- When you type something, the Delete function will be retained.
The extension is officially from Google.
This extension can not restore backtracking on particular pages, such as "chrome: //" pages such as settings or extensions.
Block the Backspace key for some pages
If you want to go back to the key you want to disable for some known pages, you can add them to the configuration list.
- Right click on the extension, then click on Extension Options
- It will reveal two text boxes
- Add websites where it will not work
- Backspace off for some applets such as Flash, Java, PDF, etc.
- You can also list the URL of any such applet where the backspace will work.
Official support for the backspace key has been removed from the Windows 10 update in October 2020 due to the risk of unexpected data loss. Chrome has also removed the backtrack in Chrome 52. This has been confirmed by a Microsoft engineer, Eric Law (MSFT Edge), on the Answers forum.
We hope that the browser extension will help you activate the backspace key on Chrome and Edge.