Office Outlook is an email client that allows users to manage email messages from multiple accounts. Users can add as many emails as they want, but sometimes Office Outlook fails to add the email they want. This is a problem where the user will see the error message as “We could not create the Outlook data file ‘ error every time they try to add a new email. And also the majority of the users reported this error when they tried to add Gmail accounts. Other emails like Yahoo, Hotmail works fine when added.
What is Office Outlook?
Microsoft Outlook is a PIM (Personal Information Manager) from Microsoft. It can be used for such purposes as shared mailboxes and calendars, Exchange public folders, SharePoint lists, and meeting times. Microsoft has also released mobile apps for most mobile platforms, including iOS and Android. The 2019 version of Outlook has improved performance and reliability with a new threading model and database improvements. But with all these new features, some errors also come with it. One of these errors is failed to create Outlook data file Fault. This error occurs when a user tries to add a new account. Outlook software has a bug that prevents the user from adding the new account to its database. So if you have encountered the same error then this is the right place to find the solution.
What causes the Unable to create Outlook data file error?
Outlook is packed with cool features, but also has some errors which can be very annoying. The main reasons for this error are given below.
- Software bug– One of the most common causes of this error is this Outlook bug. This bug does not allow the user to add accounts to the database. But switching to another method of adding account may fix this problem
- Simplified account creation function This is a new feature of Outlook that was implemented recently. If you are using the Simplified account creation function to add an account, this error may appear. Thus, disabling this feature may correct the error.
How to fix error could not create Outlook data file?
Here I will show you the steps through which you can easily fix the error and add the desired accounts to your Microsoft Outlook.
Note; Without the proper permission from your email provider, adding the account to Outlook would not be possible. Outlook and other client email sides need permission before accounts can be added. So make sure you have permissions on the email client side for Outlook. You can visit the Connection and security option in Gmail, and then select Application passwords. This will provide you with a 16 digit code which should be entered as a password when the account is added.
1. Add an account via Manage profile settings
Since the bug does not allow you to add an account on your Outlook, switching to another method of adding an account may do the trick for you. To do this, follow the steps
- Open Perspective
- Click on File in the upper right corner
- Click on Account settings.
- Then you will see a drop down menu. Click on the Manage profiles option at the bottom
- Now when a new window appears, search for the Mail accounts option and click on it.
- Then click New in the upper right corner
- Now add the details of the email you want to add and follow the onscreen instructions.
With the help of this method, you can add the desired account without facing any error.
2. Use the mail setting in the control panel
Adding an account through the Mail option in Control Panel can do the job.
- Press Windows + R to open the run box
- Type Control panel and press enter
- Then click on the option Mail
- Click on the Outlook Profile and click Okay
- Now the same box will appear like this
- Click on NOTthat one and add the email you want to add.
This is another way to add an account to your Outlook if the first method does not work for you
3. Deactivate the simplified account creation function via the registry editor
With newer versions of Outlook this feature is causing the bug where the user can add a new account. Disabling it can certainly fix the error and the user can add the desired account. To do this, we have to play with some registry codes through the registry editor. To do this, follow the steps
- Type Windows + R to open the Run box
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- the Registry Editor will open
- Now copy this path HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Office 16.0 Outlook in the address box.
- Now right click on the side and click on the New option.
- Select the DWORD value (32 bit) and click on it
- Now rename the newly created file as Disable Office365SimplifiedAccountCreation and press enter
- Then double click on it and make sure the value is 1.
- After that click on OK
Now this will turn off the easy account creation feature on your Outlook and you can add any account you want.
Here are the possible ways to fix the problem failed to create Outlook data file Fault. Hope you could clearly understand and perform the steps to fix the error.
If the issue is not resolved, or if you are having difficulty understanding or performing any of the steps, please feel free to comment below.
Also Read: How To Fix 0x800705b4: Windows 10 Update Error