Microsoft Outlook is a popular email client used by many businesses and home users. If you are in a work scenario where you have to track emails, then in this post we will share how you can track emails in Office Outlook. The functionality is integrated in Outlook and can recall the follow-up on the date of your choice.
How to track emails in Outlook
Gmail has a similar functionality, Snooze, which can remind you of emails on the date you choose. The same can be obtained in Outlook also. Let’s take a look at how to send automatic follow-up emails using the To follow functionality in Outlook for IMAP, Microsoft accounts and Business Exchange accounts
- Open Outlook and select the email you want to track.
- Right click on the email, then click To follow to develop for other options
- You will have quick access to Today, Tomorrow, This Week, the Next Week, No Date, Custom. You can also add as a reminder
The email will have a red flag next to it, and if you open the email, it will have tracking details. These emails will also have a yellow background to help you quickly identify them. To view only emails that require follow-up, click the Filter emails option under Search, then select marked.
Once you’ve finished tracking, to remove this from the tracking email list in Outlook, you have two options. Right click on it and click
- Mark the option finished, it will delete it from the task list
- If you choose Clear Flag, it will remove the flag next to it.
You can use any of them, whichever you like best. If you choose Brand completed, you will get a green check mark while the clear flag action will not create it. So if you are a task oriented guy, use the first one.
Does this feature work with all accounts?
Although it works with Microsoft and exchanges accounts, it does not work with IMPA compatible accounts. This feature requires additional metadata to be included, and not all messaging services offer it. But there is a workaround.
- Select the email, right click on it and choose Move to> Other folder or Copy to folder
- In the pop-up window, scroll to the end to find the tasks
- This will open the new task window where you can add the tracking time of the email.
- From the next time, the Task option will be available from the start in the context menu.
Tracking email is essential for users who have to chase customers, send friendly reminders in case someone missed their email, etc.
I hope this post helps you create follow-up emails in Outlook for IMPA accounts and Microsoft / Business Exchange accounts.