JAR files are similar to EXE files except that they need a Java framework to run. Imagine them as Windows EXE files that you can double-click to launch the program. When you run an EXE file, it uses support for the Windows operating system. Similarly, when you run JAR files, you need the help of Java Framework to open them. When we say open the JAR file, we do not open it as an archive file, but we execute it. In this article, I will explain how to open or run a JAR file under Windows 10.
Although archiving tools such as 7-Zip can extract the contents of JAR files, it does not help: we have to execute the files in the same way that we execute the EXE files.
How to run a JAR file on Windows 10
Since Java files can not work on Windows alone, you must install the software. Java Framework or what is popularly called Java. That said, Java files can be dependent on a particular version of Java. You will also have to take care of it.
- Download and install Java.
- Define the system path
- Run the JAVA file
- Define the Java file association.
1) Download and install Java Framework
To run a JAR file on Windows, you must install Java on your system. Go to Java download pageand install it. The default will install the latest version only. However, if your JAR file requires a different version of Java, you can download it. d & #39; here.
Sometimes an older version of Java can be at the root of a problem. So, if you encounter such a problem, be sure to delete the oldest version first. Use the official Java Remover tool get rid of it. Then install the latest version.
2) Define the system path for Java
Then you need to set the JAVA_HOME path. It ensures that any JAVA files that you run can find the necessary libraries for the program. You can also use the command line to specify the Java path to determine if it is correct.
3) Run a Java or JAR file
Now, when you double click on the JAR file, it will automatically run in the same way as the EXE files. If there is a problem with the version, the file should inform you.
If you have a jar file that does not run alone, you can use the Java JDK to run it. Open the command prompt, and type java -jar name_of_file_jar.jar. It will execute the JAR file automatically.
4) Set the Java or JAR file association
The last step is to establish a file association with Java runtime. This will ensure that every time you run, you are not prompted to select a program that can run it.
- Shift + right-click on the file and select Open with option.
- Select "Choose another application".
- If the Java (TM) Platform SE binary is not in your list, scroll down and click More Applications.
- And then choose Select app from the computer.
- The binary version of Java (TM) Platform SE should appear in this context menu, but should not be selected.
- Find the file that can run the available JAVA or JAR file in the path shown above.
- Be sure to check the "Always use this program" box.
Once done, all future JAR files will automatically open with the Java Runtime Library. You should see the Java icon for all these files.
We hope these tips were easy to understand and allowed us to open or run a Java file under Windows 10.