Are your important videos not played correctly? Have they become corrupt? Video corruption may occur in any video file stored in the camera, computer, SD card or other media. It becomes irritable when the videos are unreadable. Whether you are a professional or you like to capture memories, losing valuable records because of corruption can be a professional or personal loss.
Today, we will explain how to repair your corrupted videos and read them smoothly. But before that, let's understand why videos are corrupted.
Why are videos corrupted?
There can be many reasons why videos are corrupted – wrong camera settings while shooting to a storage drive infected with a virus. Videos can be corrupted during shooting, editing, processing or even during a simple file transfer.
Common causes of video corruption
- Viral infection
- Computer crash
- Interruption when downloading or transferring the video file
- Sudden stop of the computer while watching the video
- Bad camera settings or others.
Corrupted videos become garbled, jerky, twinkle, broken, no sound, out of sync, display errors, stop working after a few minutes, freeze, are on a black screen, or are not played at all.
How to fix corrupted videos that are unreadable
You will need a video repair tool to repair any type of corruption in the video. Advanced repair tools work on different file formats such as MOV, MP4, AVI, WEBM, DIVX, etc. However, if your videos are not read, it does not always mean that they have been corrupted. Videos may not be played due to incompatible codecs or an unsupported media player.
Therefore, before proceeding to the troubleshooting methods, try the solutions below. They could solve the video problem.
- Start with workarounds to fix unreadable videos
- Play your video file on another media player
- Convert the video file format to another one as MOV to AVI
- Re-download / re-transfer the video file from the source
- Update your video editor if the video is not played.
Now, if these secondary steps do not work in your case, try the methods below to repair corrupted videos.
Methods to repair corrupted videos
- Video Repair Software
- Video noise reduction plugins
- Repair with VLC Media Player.
1) Use video repair software
Professional video repair software Stellar repair for video which is available here, repairs corrupted videos taken with any camera, CCTV, control camera, drone, cell phone, etc. During its three-step process – Add File, Repair and Save, the software ensures fast and efficient repair of corrupted video. You can preview the video before saving it to the desired location.
The easy-to-use video repair software can correct MOV, AVI, MKV, MP4, AVCHD, MJPEG, WEBM, ASF, WMV, FLV, M4V, 3G2, 3GP, DIVX, MPEG, MTS and F4V video file formats.
Easy to use, does not require technical know-how
- You can repair severely corrupted videos
- Repair hundreds of videos at once
- Can repair multiple video file formats
- Preview repaired videos before saving them
- Repairs 4K Full HD video files.
The software offers a free trial version, which helps you make a purchase decision.
Know how to repair corrupted video files
1: Download, install and run Stellar Repair for Video on your PC
2: Click Add File and browse to add the corrupted videos.
3: Click Repair to fix the added videos.
4: Click Save Repaired File.
You can also preview the repaired videos before saving them.
2) Repair with VLC Media Player
The famous VLC media player not only reads your videos, but also has an additional function to repair corrupted videos. You can use it to fix minor corruptions in your video files.
Steps to repair the corrupted video file in VLC Media Player
- Make a copy of the original corrupted video file
- Open VLC Media Player and click on Tools at the top.
- Select Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Enter & Codecs
- Access the damaged or incomplete AVI file
- Select Always Repair from the drop-down list
- Click Save.
3) Use video plugins that reduce noise
Video noise reduction plug-ins such as Red Giant Magic Bullet can suppress grain, flicker, color loss, etc. of your videos, digital SLR cameras or GoPro. Free and paid plugins are available online. Choose one compatible with your video editing software.
Download Stellar Repair for Video
Professional video repair software like this is the most effective solution for solving video playback problems, including sound errors. And for this reason, we recommend you to buy Stellar from his official site at a discount.
You can try VLC Media Player, which fixes minor issues or plug-ins that can remove bumps, loss of color or flickering of your videos. It is important to note that while VLC and noise canceling plugins are useful, they have limited repair capabilities. Complex and serious corruption is well handled by effective video repair software.