MacOS Monterey Public Beta is now available for all compatible Macs! All you have to do is register your MacBook with the Apple Beta Software Program and install macOS 12 Public Beta over-the-air, in System Preferences. Of course you need to back up your computer before you start the update process!
How to back up with Time Machine
If you’re not happy with the performance of the macOS Monterey public beta and want to downgrade to Big Sur, you need a saved backup before updating. You will no longer be able to use a backup made in macOS 12 after reverting to macOS 11. This is why we strongly recommend that you create a Time Machine backup first:
- Connect a external hard drive to your Mac (with a USB cable).
- Open System Preferences, of Dock or Spotlight search.
- Click on Time Machine, available in the lower part of the window.
- Click on Select the backup disk … and choose the external hard drive you just connected.
Follow the on-screen prompts and be patient until the backup is complete.
How to update to the public beta of macOS Monterey
Updating to macOS 12 Public Beta is straightforward. Follow the steps outlined below:
Download macOS Monterey Beta Profile
- 1. Open Safari or any other browser on your Mac and navigate to Apple Beta Software Program website.
- 2. Register or Sign in with your Apple ID. Provide your Mac’s administrator the password if necessary.
- 3. Click on the register your Mac link available under To start section.
- 4. Click on Download the macOS beta public access utility button, available in the 2nd paragraph, called ‘Register your Mac‘.
Install the macOS Monterey beta profile
- 5. Open the Downloads folder on your Mac and click on the recently downloaded file macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg drop off.
- 6. Double click on macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.pkg file, listed in the MacOS beta public access utility the window.
Made: If you haven’t backed up your Mac with Time Machine, you’ll get the ‘No Time Machine backup detected’ arise. Click on Okay to recognize it and to proceed at your own risk.
- 7. Click on Carry on twice and Accept with Apple’s terms for this update.
- 8. Click on Install, provide your Mac administrator the password and click Install the software to deploy the macOS Monterey beta profile.
Made: The ‘Update not foundAn error pop-up window may appear on the screen after installing the macOS beta profile. Indeed, the software automatically searches for an update once the profile is deployed. Click on Okay to close it. Your Mac will check for a software update again and the macOS Monterey beta will become available.
Downloading the public beta of macOS Monterey
- 9. Click on Update now to begin downloading the public beta of macOS Monterey on your computer.
Made: For MacBook Air, the public beta of macOS 12 is 11.73 GB big.
Install macOS Monterey public beta
- ten. Click on Carry on on the macOS Monterey beta install screen. Accept with Apple’s terms.
- 11. Select the disk for the public beta install of macOS Monterey and click Carry on.
Advice: Is there not enough space to download macOS Monterey on your computer? Check Out These Ways To Free Up Mac Storage Space!
- 12. Click on Install now and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation process.
Made: Your Mac will automatically restart to mark the end of the update process! Log in with your administrator account and get started with macOS 12!
Did you successfully upgrade to the public beta of macOS Monterey? Are you having problems? Can we help? What is your feedback? Are there any bugs that annoy you? Use the comments section and share your ideas.
Related: In macOS 12, you can AirPlay from iPhone to Mac and play videos like the exclusive ones available from Apple Fitness + that aren’t natively supported by macOS!