Along with the public test versions iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and macOS Monterey, Apple also released the first TvOS 15 Public Beta. If you have a compatible Apple TV model, you can download and install it from the Settings app, as soon as you sign up for beta testing on Apple Beta Software Program.
Important: Before continuing, please note that unlike iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey once you update your Apple TV 4K to tvOS 15 Public Beta you won’t be able to come back and have to run on the test versions until the public release!
TvOS 15 Compatible Devices
Before considering updating to the public beta of tvOS 15, make sure your hardware is compatible with this software update.
There are three Apple TVs that support tvOS 15:
- Apple TV 4K (2021 and later)
- Apple TV 4K (2017 and later)
- Apple TV HD
How to install tvOS 15 public beta on Apple TV
- On Mac or iPhone, open Safari or any other web browser and navigate to the Apple Beta Software Program website.
- Log in or Register now with your Apple ID.
Look for the tvOS beta tab and scroll to To start section.
- Register your Apple TV.
- Then open the Settings app on your Apple TV and select System -> Software update.
- Activate the Get public beta updates option.
- Restart your Apple TV and the tvOS 15 Public Beta becomes available in System Settings.
- Go for System -> Software Update -> Software Update -> Download and Install.
TvOS 15 Features
Unlike iOS and macOS updates, tvOS updates are on a smaller scale and the changes are less dramatic. Nonetheless, tvOS 15 comes with a few notable features, including:
- SharePlay – is a new FaceTime option included in iOS 15, iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey. It allows participants of a group video call to watch TV shows and movies together and is also coming to Apple TV in tvOS 15. ‘For all of you’ The proactive recommendation option is able to suggest shows that are likely to be of interest to all participants in the conversation.
- Shared with you – is a new feature that displays media that has been shared with you by contacts through the Messages app, reminding you to check them out.
- Spatial audio – is available in tvOS 15 when Apple TV is paired with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max headphones.
- Smart AirPods routing is a new feature that automatically connects AirPods to an Apple TV.
- HomePod mini stereo sound is now available. In tvOS 15, you can pair two HomePod mini speakers with a 4K Apple TV for stereo audio playback.
- Multiple cameras – In tvOS 15, if you have multiple HomeKit compatible cameras, you can view them all at the same time on your Apple TV.
tvOS 15 is scheduled for release this fall! Do you plan to upgrade to the public beta or do you plan to wait for the official release. Have you found any other news? Do you have any questions? Use the comments section and share your comments.
Related: You might also be interested in updating Mac to macOS Monterey Public Beta!