Yammer is a Microsoft group communication tool that you can use to set up a social network for any business. In this guide, I'll share some tips for beginners to help you configure and then use Yammer.
How to use Yammer – Beginner's Guide
We will cover the following sections of Yammer on this topic.
- Where to register
- To start
- Essential features
- Groups and messages
- Tracking and attachments
- Search and profile configuration
1) Where to register for Yammer
Yammer is free, and all you need is a domain mail ID. Although anyone can sign up, I suggest you ask someone at the administrator level to create a company profile by visiting yammer.com.
2) First steps with Yammer
The first thing to do is to create a relevant group, according to the project companies to use Yammer. Once this is done, you can start inviting company employees to Yammer to join their respective groups. Post this; you will have to teach everyone how to use Yammer, which should be simple. Now let's talk about some of the basic features of Yammer that everyone should know.
3) Essential Features in Yammer, Everyone Should Know
Once you have completed your basic registration, check out the following topics to learn the basics of Yammer.
- The attachments
- Profile configuration.
For more information, check out our article on Yammer's features.
It is best to create the required groups and add people. This will help everyone to discover the conversations categorically.
- To create a group, click the Create a group link on the left.
- You can choose to create an internal or external group
- Then add people and decide if this is accessible to all members of the company or only to members of the group.
When you create an external group, it means that members of other companies can also collaborate here.
2) the messages
- To post a message, type your message and click "Publish".
- Any message that is not restricted to a group or group of users will be visible to all subscribers.
- If you want to send a message to a person, you have two possibilities.
- @address the person. However, this remains public and anyone on the network will be able to see it.
- Direct message to the person. It will always be private.
Although @ mentions can be posted anywhere, to send a private message, you have to search for the person using the search and then click the Send Message button to send a message. You can also add more people to the conversation by private message.
There are two things you can follow. People and Hast Tags.
- Find the person in the member directory and click the Follow button.
- When you find a label, click on it, and all conversations with that label will be listed. Then click the follow button.
To attach a file to your message, click the Yammer icon below the message box and choose the file you want to attach.
If you want to keep a central location to keep all your files, click the configuration icon at the top left, and then click Files. Here you can click the Download File button to download the supported files.
Yammer's search allows you to search for messages, people, groups and tags. The search results page also has an advanced search feature. You can choose to search in a group and between periods.
6) Profile configuration
Be sure to suggest everyone to create their profile and add an image. You can add your department, your e-mail address, your location, your expertise, your contact number, the contact details of the messenger, Facebook, the Linked In profile, etc. The same page allows you to change the password, all your activities, connected apps and notifications.
Notifications are an essential part. If you receive too many emails and notifications for everything, you can access the notifications and uncheck what is not required.
Lily: Tips and tricks from Yammer.
These indications should be enough for you to start using Yammer. If you still have questions, let us know in the comments.