Here you will find how to install and manage the best VPN available, Surfshark, on your Android device. With just one subscription to use Surfshark on all the devices you own. The price of this VPN is way lower than its competitors ($ 2.49 / month) and the amount of service you get for that money is amazing. Camouflage mode, CleanWeb, and strict no-logging policy ensure a safe and hassle-free internet experience. In this article, you will see how to install the Surfshark app, how to connect to a VPN, manage Surfshark locations and settings.
Installation and connection to Surfshark
To use the Surfshark app, you need an Android device running OS 5.0 or higher and a Surfshark subscription, which can be done on their website. Then go to Google Play Store and open it. Search for Surfshark and click on the first result in the list. After that just choose download or install and the process will be finished in seconds. Once it’s ready, open the app from the Play Store or the Home screen. If you have already subscribed to Surfshark, select Log in as existing user. Subscribing is also easy to do over the phone, so don’t worry if you haven’t signed up yet. There’s also a 7-day free trial, in case you want to try it out first and then subscribe. To register a valid email address is required and you need to create a password.
Connect to a VPN
The next step to safe internet browsing is to connect to a VPN. When you log in, the home page of the application is displayed. Click Connect at the bottom and it will automatically select the fastest available server. You can also manage this manual. To do this, press the button with the three stripes next to the Connect button. The options are to be connected to the fastest server, which is available, or to be connected to a server in the nearest country. After clicking the connect button, Surfshark will ask you to allow setting up a VPN connection. It is important to select OK so that the application can connect to a server. When your app successfully connects to a VPN, you will see the affiliation on the screen. Additionally, you might notice a Surfshark logo associated with the wrench icon at the top of your screen. This indicates that you are still connected to Surfshark VPN. To disconnect from the VPN, click the Disconnect button. Tap the white arrow on the status bar to check the detailed information about your VPN connection. Here you will see your new IP address, the amount of your data firmly transferred and the choice to activate the Kill Switch function.
So you want to connect with a particular location? No worries, Surfshark has over 3200 servers in over 65 countries, and you’ll be connecting to one of them.
- Go to the Locations section of your Surfshark app and choose any location. Tap your most popular country’s flag icon and the app can instantly connect to that location as well.
- You have the option to check the location latency and traffic by clicking on the speedometer icon. This can show the latency for each location in the list. Lower latency suggests stable membership.
- You may have noticed the Static IP and MultiHop tabs at the top of your Surfshark. Here’s what they do: Static IP – you can get identical IP addresses every time you connect. MultiHop – you will connect through 2 different VPN servers in many countries and add an extra layer of security
- If you want Surfshark to remember your favorite places, tap the star on the right side. Currently, this server will appear in the list of your favorite servers.
Features of Surfshark
Open the Features section of your Surfshark app. There you will see four options:
- CleanWeb – sensitive feature that blocks advertisements and malicious sites on the Internet.
- Whitelist – this allows you to choose which apps or websites to exclude from connecting through a VPN tunnel, and vice versa, which of them to route.
- Alert – sends period alerts once your emails and passwords are at risk of being hacked.
- Search – a navigation tool that allows you to conduct search queries on the web with privacy, no ads, no logs, no history, and no trackers.
Manage Surfshark settings
You can fine tune your Surfshark app to your personal preferences. You will see all the required settings that allow you to customize and troubleshoot your VPN connection.
- Open the Settings page of the Surfshark app.
- In the Application tab, you will be able to see your Surfshark app version, change the app language, and turn dark mode on and off.
- Go to the Connectivity tab to edit and set automatic connection preferences. You will be able to select on which networks Surfhsark should automatically connect to a VPN. Here too you can activate and deactivate the KillSwitch function. KillSwitch is a security-focused feature that will disconnect you from the web if the VPN membership drops unexpectedly.
- In the Reporting tab, you decide if you want to provide our developers with anonymous information about the technical performance of your Surfshark application and help them improve it a lot in an efficient way.
- The Advanced Settings tab is where you can troubleshoot and modify the performance of Surfshark VPN. You can find here: Data Encryption – check if you want to use heavier or lighter encryption to protect your data. Lighter encryption (ChaCha20Poly1305) should lead to a lot of speed improvement. Protocol – choose the protocol you prefer to use to connect to the VPN. NoBorders Mode – allows bypassing web restrictions in countries where serious censorship is in place. Override GPS location – a distinctive feature of Surfshark allowing you to match your GPS location to the situation of your VPN connection.
Here you will find your subscription details, the ability to change your password whenever you want and the TV connection which will help you to easily connect to the Surfshark app on your TV.
If you have any further questions or issues, you can go to the Help section for 24/7 support. This, combined with all the features of Surfshark and its low price, really makes it the best VPN option. for Android.