Devices like Microsoft Surface allows you to optimize power management by configuring its brightness setting. Let's quickly see the process of configuring or changing the default brightness value for the surface unit.
Change the default brightness value of Microsoft Surface
Tablets or convertibles are not just for Office work. They are also useful in kiosk scenarios. In this scenario, the use of a device or equipment is extremely limited for certain purposes. For example, the device can be configured to simply run an application in full screen while hiding the other vis-à-vis the end user. This helps reduce the thermal load and reduce the overall carbon footprint of deployed devices, in this case Microsoft Surface.
To configure the brightness control of the surface, you must:
- Download the msi tool Surface_Brightess_Control
- Configure its values via the registry entries
1) Surface_Brightess_Control msi tool
This tool is available for download with Surface Tools for IT. When it is installed on the target device, the tool automatically dims when it is not in use and includes the following configuration options:
- Period of inactivity before attenuating the display.
- Brightness level when it is attenuated.
- Maximum brightness level in use.
The file name, currently, is visible as Surface_Brightess_Control_v18.104.22.168.msi and its size is about 992 KB.
2) Configure the values via the registry entries
Launch the 'Run' dialog box. Input text & #39;regeditIn the empty field and press "Enter".
Then navigate to the next path –
ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftSurfaceSurface Brightness Control
Configure one of the following options, depending on your needs:
- Light control activated – It allows a user to turn on or off the brightness control of the surface. For example, to disable surface brightness control, the value of this input must be set to "00". To do this, double-click the entry in the right pane and in the "Edit String" box that appears, enter the "Value Data" as "00". If you do not configure this setting, the surface brightness control will be enabled.
- Brightness control on activated power – It disables the brightness control of the surface when the device is directly connected to the mains. To turn off the brightness control of the surface when the power is connected, set the value to00"If you do not configure this parameter, the brightness control of the surface is activated.
- Full brightness– This parameter is used to set the maximum brightness range for the device (0-100). If it is not configured, the maximum brightness range for this parameter remains set to 100%.
- Time out of inactivity – It allows the user to set or specify the period of inactivity before reducing the intensity of the device. If it is not changed, the idle time is automatically set to 30 seconds, after which the device screen is dimmed.
So, using the methods above, you can adjust the default brightness value and optimize the power management of your Microsoft Surface device. You can get the details and download the msi file controlling the brightness of the surface from Microsoft.