Disabled late, many Windows 10 users have complained that Skype opens automatically when they log in. Once started, it runs continuously in the background and consumes battery power. This feature has been created by default so that the user can be notified instantly when he receives a message on the application.
Before we take a closer look at solving the problem, let's discuss the different versions available for a Windows 10 user.
Different versions of Skype for Windows 10
There are currently 3 versions of the same software:
- Skype – This is the traditional version used by most users for voice and video calls.
- Skype Preview – This is a lighter version of Skype that we use. This has been made available with the recent update of Windows 10's birthday.
- Skype for Business – As its name indicates, this version is mainly used for business purposes. It is also included with Windows 10.
These three versions have the same initiation functionality as soon as the user logs into their account.
How to prevent Skype from starting automatically
The following methods can be used to prevent skype from starting automatically under Windows 10.
1. Skype disconnect
The problem is that Skype starts automatically and immediately connects to the account to give the user notifications as they arrive. An appropriate solution for the same thing would simply be to disconnect from the application. Let us discuss how we can achieve this goal!
- Open the Skype application.
- Click on your profile picture that would be present in the upper left corner.
- A pop-up window will appear. You must click on "Logout". This option would be available at the bottom of the window that was previously displayed.
And that's it, you would have managed to make Skype disappear from your screen space! If you are wondering how it works, discuss the technical aspect. So, when using Skype, two applications run in your device's task manager, namely "SkypeHost.exe" and "SkypeApp.exe". When you close the application (without disconnecting, of course), "SkypeApp.exe" stops working, but the case is not the same as "SkypeHost.exe". This is responsible for you always receive notifications.
However, when you also disconnect from the Skype application, this is also the case where 'SkypeHost.exe' stops working. This means that notifications will stop, as will the entire program.
This method is not ideal for regular Skype users because you will need to log back in to Skype.
2. Change some settings (for the desktop application)
This problem can be easily solved by simply changing a few parameters here and there. The best part is that it will only take a few minutes to make these changes! Here's how:
- Open the Skype application.
- If you logged out of your account at the previous step, you must log in now.
- Click Tools. As shown in the image below, this option is available in the menu bar at the top.
- In Tools, go to Options in the drop-down menu that appears. (Again, as shown in the picture.)
- On the Options tab, check the 'Start Skype on Windows Startup' box. You must uncheck this box and then click Save.
By following these steps, you ensure that Skype does not start automatically on your Windows 10 device. It would only take the initiative when selecting the Skype shortcut, which would launch the application on your Windows 10 device. .
3. Change some settings (for Skype preview application)
The previous method would only have been valid on the desktop application in the same way. When you first click the Skype preview app, you are prompted to sign in with your Microsoft account. But that's the problem, once you have logged into this app, you will be logged in for good, that is, you will not be prompted to log in again. In such a case, here is how to prevent this application from opening itself!
- Open the Skype preview application.
- You will be able to see your chosen profile picture on the screen at the bottom left. Click on it.
- You must now scroll the screen to the bottom and select the Logout option.
This should solve all your problems.
4. Modify some settings (for Skype Business application)
Now, if you have the Skype for Business app, you would have ignored the two previous methods because they would not help you. Here's what you do then:
- Open the Skype Business application.
- Sign into your account. This is obviously applicable in case you are not already connected to the application.
- Locate the Wheel icon in the application and select the down arrow next to this icon.
- A drop-down list will appear. You must then click Tools, and then select Options.
- In the Options tab, you must click on Personal.
- Then deselect the "Automatically start the application when I log in to Windows" check box.
- Click 'OK' to save the changes you just made, as shown in the image below.
This will prevent skype from starting automatically under Windows 10.
I hope that one of these methods would have been helpful depending on the type of Skype application you have. Skype has been the # 1 app for calls or video messages. Solving this problem makes the user experience more fluid and a little less troublesome. Anyway, good Skyping to you!