Stereo mixing is a Windows 10 feature that allows you to record sound using it as a source with other software. If the stereo mix in Windows 10 does not work, does not show or does not select the audio from the source, here's how to fix it.
What is the stereo mix?
Stereo Mix is the name given to the output stream (virtual audio device) after all channels are combined. This means that if you use it as a recording device, everything on the computer goes through it. In a recording application such as Audacity, set your source to Stereo Mix rather than a microphone.
Stereo Mix does not work in Windows 10
So we have two scenarios here, and we will share solutions for each of them.
- Stereo mixing does not show up
- Stereo mixing does not select audio
There are several reasons for the malfunction of the stereo mix. You may not be able to record audio when you use it with your application, but the green bars of the audio test will go up and down. It is also possible that there is no output at all as there is a driver problem.
1) Stereo Mix does not show up
There can be two reasons for this. First, it is hidden and disabled. Second, you need to update your audio drivers.
a) View and activate the stereo mix
- Type Control Panel in the prompt, and then press Enter.
- Then go to Hardware and Sound and click on Sound.
- On the Playback tab, right-click the empty slot.
- To select Show disabled devices, and Disconnected devices.
- It should reveal Stereo Mix.
- Right-click and activate it.
b) Update the audio drivers
- Use WIN + X to open the power menu
- Click Device Manager to open it.
- In Device Manager, expand the audio inputs and outputs.
- Right-click each of the listed audio devices, and then click Update Driver.
There are two options here. You can search through Windows Update or, if you have downloaded audio drivers from the OEM, you can select and install it.
When the update is complete, open the audio settings again and check if the stereo mix is available.
2) The stereo mix does not select the audio
It's easy. If you have a connected audio device and it does not output, it is not a default device.
- In the prompt, type Control Panel Hardware and Audioand press Enter.
- Click Sound> Playback Tab.
- Right-click Stereo Mix, and set it as the default playback device.
- To confirm its operation, click on it with the right button of the mouse and test. If you see the green audio bars going up and down, it works.
When you want to use it, be sure to use it as a source, for example when you want to record audio. Use Audacity to check.
We hope that these tips have been easy to follow and that you have been able to activate and use the stereo mix on Windows 10 as expected.