Did you know that the Settings the app has a hidden file that shows the iPhone battery cycle count? This is the number of times the battery has been fully charged during its lifetime. Information on battery cycles can be very helpful when buying a used iPhone. It gives additional information on aging, to supplement the Maximum capacity data available in the Battery Health section.
Tip for displaying the number of iPhone battery cycles
Battery cycles are somewhat hidden and you need to perform the following steps to find out how many times the iPhone battery has been fully charged:
- 1. Open Settings and search Privacy.
- 2. Scroll down to Analyzes and improvements, Press on Analytical data.
- 3. Then scroll through the data list until you reach the
log-aggregated-[date]-[number].ipsfile and tap it.
- 4. Long press the screen to bring up the text selection tool and to select all the contents of the file. Copy the text.
- 5. To go to the Remarks app and open a new note. Long press the screen to display ‘Dough’ option.
- 6. Dough the text of the file aggregated by the log.
- 7. Then press the three points, available in the upper right corner of the screen and use the Search in the note option.
- 8. Search “Batterycyclecount”! The number of complete charge cycles is displayed between
Important: The value for the number of battery cycles does not increment each time you connect your iPhone to a power source, but calculates a full charge cycle only when the device has been charged with the full capacity of the battery. For example, if you plug your device into a 60% battery percentage, charge it fully and the next time you charge it to 40%, you get 1 full cycle.
IPhone Battery Cycle Count Shortcut
You can use the shortcut “ Show battery cycle ” (direct link) to simplify the tutorial presented above. Review the contents of the shortcut and press the Add an untrusted shortcut button.
Important: Do not run the shortcut from the application (“My shortcuts” tab). You will get an error stating: “No aggregated file per log found”. Instead, use the steps outlined below:
- Then search Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics and improvements -> Analytical data.
- Scroll through the log-aggregated.ips files and tap on the most recent.
- Tap the Share button available at the top right corner of the screen and run it with the See the battery
- Cycleshortcut available in the share sheet options.
- A notification with the number of iPhone battery cycles is displayed at the top of the screen. Tap Made to close it!
IPhone battery cycle count is not available
In some cases, the log-aggregated.ips files are missing from the Analytics data report. This happens if you choose not to share iPhone Analytics data.
You have the option to enable the Share iPhone & Watch Analytics feature for a short time until a log-aggregated.ips file is generated. Once you’ve determined the number of battery cycles, you can turn off data sharing and use your device as before.
How? ‘Or’ What: search Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics and Improvements -> Share iPhone and Watch Analytics.
Made: It may take up to 24 hours for the log-aggregated.ips file to be generated after enabling the data sharing feature.
Battery status in relation to the number of battery cycles
This value indicates the current state of your battery relative to its new state capacity.
Let’s compare the value of the maximum capacity with the number of battery cycles and see if we find a pattern. Please use the comments section available below to share your own statistics. Mention the iPhone model. The earliest activation date would also be relevant.
Are you able to check the number of battery cycles on your iPhone? Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck in the process.
Related: Is the current battery percentage showing an incorrect number? Here’s what you can do to fix it!